Saturday, September 6, 2014

New Upholstery for Old Piano Clawfeet Stool






I found an an antique piano clawfeet stool in one of my favorite consignment stores. It got my attention because it was small and sturdy plus the glassballs are in very good condition.  It didn't have the swivel part anymore and it fitted my secretary perfectly. It just needed to be a little bit more comfortable so I decided to upholster it. 

Before upholstery, I gave the chair some TLC by polishing it with a natural wood recipe using olive oil and vinegar.

Recipe:

1 cup olive oil 
1/4 cup white vinegar

Since the wood used is very old, I didn't want to beat it up with the staple gun. Instead, I used a hard cardboard for my upholstery project.  





Materials Used:

Hard cardboard
Staple gun
Foam
Batting
Cloth for upholstery
Stick on Velcro 

Procedure:

1.  Trace the shape of the top part of the stool on the cardboard. Cut the cardboard accordingly.

2.  Trace and cut the foam according to the size of the top part of the stool.

3.  Measure and cut the batting.  The size should be able to cover the whole foam.

4.  Put the foam on top of the cardboard.  Cover and staple the batting at the bottom of the cardboard. It should be snug and tight.

5.  Measure and cut the cloth of of your choice.  In this case, I used an old pillowcase I haven't used for a long time.  ( I like to recycle).  The size should be as large as the batting.


6.  Just like the batting, cover the foam and staple the cloth at the bottom of the cardboard.  Again, it should be snug and tight.

7.  Cut the stick on velcro into small rectangles and stick one side at the bottom of the upholstery.

8.  Then stick the other side directly on the chair so it will be perfectly aligned.  

It should look like this:








9.  The chair is now nicer, more comfortable and ready to use. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment